Tuesday 29 April 2008

Not long left....

It's really hit home this week how little time we have left of this year. Only two weeks to the last deadline of the first year!

Having mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I wasn't looking forward to the CD artwork design, I'm pleased to say that it was an erroneous prediction. I've actually really enjoyed the process of developing the emotions and thoughts I put down in my original mind maps and mood boards, and conceptualising them to create a piece of design. What's more, I'm really happy with the design that I have come up with. For those of you who don't know, I've gone down the route of the 'Headphones' idea from my last post. I'll post up a 'final proposal' of the Digipak® Inner and Outer in the next few days if all goes to plan.

The CD body, at the moment, is non-existent. This is something that, probably unwisely, I've been side-lining. I just haven't had any instantaneous ideas to jot down, and I've been concentrating on other things up until now. However, the latter half of this week is going to have to be focused on the ideas and development process for this. My production schedule tells me I need to complete this before the beginning of next week, so I can move on to the magazine advert and my evaluation, and I do feel confident I will be able to achieve this.

This week also brought around the task of creating a Preflight Document to accompany the CD artwork. Having no clue where to start with this, I spent a bit of time researching into the process of preflighting last week. It's become clear that this can be a really useful exercise when in the final stages of producing work for print. It's not just a process for printers, but can be useful for designers too. In the long run, spending a bit of time checking through things can save time for both professions.

Having a seminar group based almost exclusively on feedback today proved to be a useful exercise. A few things were raised which can improve my work, and even the most minor of things are so important. After all, design is in the details (thanks to Steve for that article).

On Tuesday morning we had a discussion about the progression onto the 2nd year of the course. This was another occasion that it really hits you how fast time's moving on, and how much we're progressing. It really got me thinking about how far I've come in a relatively short amount of time. But I'll leave this for the year's evaluation in a couple of weeks... I don't want to use up all my material! The fact is though, I'm really looking forward to progressing further and moving on with my studies.

4 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

Tom, I am really impressed with your dedication to this project and will look forward to reviewing your final design for the Digipak. Hopefully the design will not deter people from buying it.

John Browne said...

I agree, it only feels like last week when we all created a contraption to save a falling egg. You know what they, time flies when your having fun, and I beleive everyone has enjoyed the course so far.

I beleive I saw the CD cover you talked about in your journal, and might I add, a very big well done on creating the burn effect. Keep it flowing Tom, and the next time we tackle a new assignment, i see you doing realy well.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Thanks for the great idea about buying a music magazine. I think this is certainly a tip I will listen to and buy myself a mag this weekend for research purposes.

You have some really strong designs throughout your corporate work and now your cd artwork. I think if you keep this up with your cd advertisement, you'll be rewarded with a nice grade!

Michelle Bonfield said...

Minor details certainly make a design and I'm finding our seminar groups really useful in identifying these issues.

I'm really looking forward to next year particularly for this reason. As I know we're all going to significantly aid each others development.Good times are definitely ahead!