Tuesday 15 January 2008

New Year - New Semester

Sitting to write this blog, I don't really know where to start. It seems like an age since the last blog entry now. Christmas has been a good long break, and I now feel re-energised to get on with some work. I was kind of dreading leaving behind my holiday sleep/play X-box pattern, but now I'm back I'm quite glad to be getting on with stuff! I really should have done more design orientated stuff over the holiday, but it has actually been quite busy for me (I've done a lot more than just play X-box... honestly). The only thing I've done to keep in touch is visit Das Forum and read all the posts, although I haven't posted a single one over the holidays, something I reckon I'll have to change- it's a valuable resource after all.

The new assignments seem to excite me- I'm glad to finally be building a website rather than just planning it, and hope this satisfaction continues into the build and is also there when the build is complete- hopefully it won't be a complete failure! So I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to A5.

As for A6, I'm also looking forward to this. The presentation obviously holds aspects which make me feel nervous, but overall I think it should be interesting and challenging to investigate my assigned typographer, Morris Fuller Benton, and create an engaging presentation about his work. I'm also looking forward to the timed tasks, as I enjoyed the timed aspect of the Jazz banners last semester, and feel I work well in the pressure this puts me under.

I've had a sly look this afternoon at some of the 2nd years blogs from this time last year, which has hopefully given me some hints about what kind of design briefs we might get from Steve, and I'd recommend that fellow 1st years do the same!

On the whole, I'm looking forward to the next 7/8 weeks and getting stuck into these assignments.

Monday was obviously the first day back after the last deadline, and I'm really happy with my results for A3 and A4. I managed to gain a merit on both of the assignments. This came as a bit of surprise when Steve told me yesterday; over Christmas I'd done the typical stupid thing of mentally persuading myself that I'd not done very well. I'm pleased, though, that I was able to meet all the targets that I'd set for myself and attain the results I did.

Over the next week, I'm hoping to begin to get more familiar with Dreamweaver and using tables and cells to lay out a website- I'm hopefully going to begin reworking the Ya-Yas website
, which should hopefully help address any problems that might come up for me during A5. I'm also going to spend some time getting to grips with Adobe InDesign and doing further research into Morris Fuller Benton. I also need to get back into the habit of collecting pieces of design work for my sketchbook- something that became sloppy over the last couple of weeks of the last semester. Any good resources for inspirational work would be appreciated!

6 comments:

Webomatic said...

Hi Tom

Yes i also have to get better at using tables and cells in Dreamweaver, if you click on my blog there are sum helpfull links, i am using these at the moment to try and boost my skills up in all the applications we are using.

Thanks, Martyn

Liam Corfield said...

Hi Tom, i also have to get better with using tables and cells since this is really the first time ive used Dreamweaver. if you have any helpful tips id like to know them and in return i give you links to some helpful inspirational resources:

www.deviantart.com
www.worth1000.com

if i find more, ill get back to you.

Greg Carrick said...

I was just about the have a look at the second year’s blogs to try and get a few hints.

Well done on getting merits on both of the assignments.

I also need to get in a habit of collecting inspirational pieces of work because I’ve not really get that many in my sketchbook at the moment. They are now starting to build up though because I’ve been spending some time to try and get back on track with the A1 assignment.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I am the same about using the software but I think that the presentation realy helpped and am sure if you keep looking back at your notes then it will help you a lot more.

James Bell said...

I have also been neglecting the A1 assignment in terms of collecting inspirational work and this is something I will have been working on this week and in future.

Again this is another area where the forum can come in handy as people are sharing inspirational work and websites all the time.

With regards to the presentation I think that that having already done one presentation this one will hopefully be a lot easier. I also think it would be very useful to have the presentation lecture again as Steve suggested.

Gary Benn said...

Hi Tom,

Good to hear you had a good Christmas break. I don't think it is too bad that you have not done much design work, after all it is what you will probably be doing for the rest of your life and you may never get a 3 week break from design after the course.

It is good to start building the web site finally. Whilst the feeling of satisfaction MAY falter over the course of A5 (depending on how many frustrating errors may pop up) there is nothing better than the satisfaction of a finished product which has been in the planning for so long.

Congratulations on your grades, well done.

I think it is very good and useful to be doing things out of college (such as your band web site). It will allow you to put what you have been learning into practice and get to know the software more. This should be a great help with A5.