Tuesday 22 January 2008

The Importance Of Being Early

This week, and more specifically today, has involved a whole array of emotions. This is due to the timed task we had this morning... to design a cover for the FontBook using the corporate colours of the company; black, white, and yellow. Admittedly, this exercise proved quite tough for me. The main issue for me was the control of the white space- something I can identify as a weakness, and hopefully work on in the future. I also missed the 12 noon deadline- by literally seconds. I was stood putting my stuff in the plastic wallet when the clock turned 12. Too late. While I can understand the point Steve was making, I felt slightly annoyed with the situation. I find myself doubting that any client in a real world situation would be quite this strict with a deadline. However, the lesson is now learned. Thankfully, Steve revealed that this exercise was in a fact a 'dry run'. Next time I must be more efficient- maybe even early!

The rest of the week has been quite productive. I feel as though I've got to grips a lot with Dreamweaver, and have even practised a bit of hand coding with some simple XHTML and CSS. Even the simple stuff is so powerful and effective- I'm looking forward to gaining a better knowledge in the future. I spent quite a bit of self-study time last week with Dreamweaver, and I think this should really benefit me over the course of A5.

I also was able to spend a bit of time in InDesign doing a design for a photography voucher my sister asked me to do. I might upload it sometime to get some opinions on it- I'm not overly sure about the typography I used and would appreciate some thoughts.

This week I'm going to concentrate on my A6 presentation. The initial draft needs to be complete for next week's seminar group so it's my priority over the coming week. I have an idea what I'm going to say throughout the 5 minutes but need to refine my ideas, and prepare the slides.

My priority for A5 is to sort out all the images- I had some trouble with a couple of the .gif images yesterday- they appear differently on the college PC than they do on my Mac at home- kind of blotchy. I need to make sure this isn't going to become a problem later in the assignment, so may end up needing to re-do some of the images.

We also had a review of 'A1 - SketchBlog' today. I'm glad this was the case, as it re-focused me on this assignment and clarified some things that were mixed up in my mind. I need to bear this assignment in mind more than I have been doing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True enough, some clients wouldn't begrudge a few extra seconds. But I've know plenty of clients who would suddenly move a deadline forward. How would you feel if I did that in a task?

Also, the handover to a client can be a reasonably simple affair. Thirteen students in a room vying for a hand-in is a different scenario. How does your few seconds translate to the next colleague who wants a few more seconds on top of that? And so on. What does it look like to colleagues that met the deadline?

Anyway, I think the point has now been made. I hope the penny has dropped with everyone - regardless of whether the work was in at 12, or not.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Tuesday's seminar groups were a real eye opener, it wasn't until the timed task that I fully realised the importance of collecting inspirational pieces. I feel that the number of pieces I've set myself is just a ballpoint in aiming to keep on track for A1.

Hand coding CSS will be a great skill for you to learn and become confident with. Many jobs in the design industry see being able to handcode as a valuable skill are many are starting to name it as a required element on job requirements.

The timed task, even though it was a dry run, was a great experience for us all. I think you're right when you say that in future we should all prepare to hand in slightly earlier than the deadline!

Andrew said...

Yeah, good space management is an essential thing to possess.. especially when it comes in the form of white space. This is quite a hard thing for a designer if it's not natural for you, but just another element of typography to learn and grasp.

I'm when it comes to the next few timed tasks you'll cope with them alot easier, this one eased everyone into the whole format. Now your kind of comfortable with it and you know whats going on, the next one should be like a very fast run in the park!

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think that time planning is really important when we have the tasks, making sure you have planned the time correctly so that your giving enough time for your work to be handed in.

Mark Torrington said...

Recently I experienced a situation where a client move the deadline a week before previously scheduled. It caused absolute chaos for the design team and suppliers. Although after re-aligning priorities we achieved the deadline.

Try setting a stopwatch and working as fast as you can, bleeping every so often you will be encouraged to complete the task quickly, if only to destroy the stopwatch as satisfaction of completion.