Tuesday 29 January 2008

The Design Mechanics

This morning a few of us had the opportunity to go to Huddersfield to visit Dave Pannell and his team at the Design Mechanics. Having been there when Dave last visited College, it was good to have the chance to see how they actually work in the studio. The morning involved an introduction of the company and how they work, as well as an opportunity for questions and discussion. And a pretty good cup of tea.

For me, the most valuable part of the trip today was the opportunity to spend a bit of time sat with one of Dave's employees, Oliver, whilst he was working on a piece of work for VideoBooth Systems. This was a valuable, if short, insight into how work takes place in that particular studio. Oliver also had a quick look at some of my work so far, and offered some feedback on it. My jazz banners seemed to go down well with him, which I was pleased about. Another memorable comment was that that colour scheme on my Back to Basic site looks like PC World, with their yellow and purple logo. Great.

This week has been pretty good in terms of getting work done. I'm pleased with my progress with A5- I have the majority of the site completed now to a standard I'm pretty happy with. It's not the most exciting design ever but it gets the job done as it should do. You can have a look at the work so far here. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. It took me a while last week to get the contact form sorted but I eventually realised I was just being an idiot and I'd forgotten to make the Perl script readable and executable by the user. It's now working fine.

I'm really enjoying the building of the site so far. I think beginning to build the site has really renewed my enthusiasm for web-building. Over the past months I've not been doing much web orientated stuff whilst focusing on other assignments, but I'm glad to be building a site, and pleased that I'm enjoying doing it.

Having said I'm enjoying A5, the next week will involve the development of a usability questionnaire, which for me doesn't provoke particularly exciting thoughts, but has to be done. I suppose the best way of looking on this is that it is contributing to the final quality of the website, and it's therefore a worthwhile task.

With A6, I feel I'm progressing well with the presentation, I just need to amend certain pieces of information, adding some things and taking some away. Over the next week my concentration will mostly be on developing my handout, for which the information will be much more involved than it is on the slides.

5 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Apart from the moving tables (which i know you're aware of), your website is looking really good. All the links that i've tested so far have worked and the layout is nice and clean.

Good Job!

Rebecca Bradley said...

Your site is looking really good. I like the use of the colours on the layout, which makes it easy to notice where the links and text are.

Gary Benn said...

Well done on the web site. Well done on the images lining up to the text, I had problems at first where the spacing between them went wrong when the text was enlarged. Looks like you sorted it the same way as I did.

The only thing I will say is the navigation could need some looking at! Although all the links work well. When the text is enlarged they all 'screw' up into one big jumble.

Also there are areas where there is only one word on the second line (on the navigation), I think this could easily be fixed by playing around with the which words are on which line. Or perhaps centring the text in the cell could be more effective in this occasion.

The content areas and images look good. Well done for getting it validated by the way.

Tested in: Firefox 2.0.0.11 (PC, Windows XP professional)

Andrew said...

One thing I like about your design is the organisation, it's really clear and easy to see each different piece of information individually. I do think that the colours used on each slightly take away from your design. I like the colourscheme on the banner, you just need to bring that back down to the information part, to carry on a running theme throughout your design.

But you've really progressed with it quicky; you said you had validated it already and the form was working, I'm impressed.

Mark Torrington said...

Well Tom, I am really impressed with your website so far. The light shade of yellow behind the text improves legibility and by using purple enhances the overall appearance of the site.

You may have done this intentionally, however I have noticed the first name field is shaded out unlike the other fields that are white.