Tuesday 5 February 2008

Hokai

Tuesday began with a timed task: 'Hokai'. We had to design a label for a small paint tube. I really enjoyed the task today, and was really pleased with the results. As the space we had to work with was very small (65mm x 45mm), it was quite a challenge to get all the information onto the label yet retain a legible font size. Like I said, I was really pleased with the final result of the task. I think the way I approached the task was much more efficient than for the last timed task, and my time management was better for the limited time we had.

The rest of the day involved further work on the presentation and handout. I'm not feeling the look of my handout at the moment, so might have to revisit the design process. It all seems a little squashed at the moment. Other than this, I feel the preparation of my presentation is going well, and I should be prepared well in time for the practice presentation just after half term. One issue I'm having is balance of how much information I should have on my slides in relation to the amount on my handout. I'm going to have to sit down at some point, and think about what I can omit from my slides in order to make them communicate my points more effectively.

On Monday I got some feedback from Steve and John about my site. This brought a lot of issues to light, which were reinforced by the thread on Das Forum. Over half term I'm going to spend a bit (or a lot as the case may be) of time implementing the feedback I have recieved, some aspects being minor, some being much more major. I'm actually really grateful for the feedback, as I've found myself agreeing with a lot of what's been said. Although my site did take a lot of criticism, I see this as being a valuable stage in the overall process of creating a better site.

I'm looking forward to implementing the feedback I've recieved, as although it could be seen as a hassle to have to change things on the site, I really enjoyed building it, and therefore I should enjoy changing aspects of it. Hopefully!

6 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

I also really enjoyed the timed task on Tuesday. I’m glad to hear you’re pleased with the final result, I was pleased with my final on too, but after the task I ended up thinking of some different way’s I could have improved the design!

With the A6 task, I’m quite the opposite of you, as I’m happy with the handout design but not the presentation design.

Victoria Fisher said...

When I first started my presentation I had load of information on my slides, but last week I cut it down to simple bullet points. If I have too much information on the slides people are more likely to read the slides than listen to what I am saying. I have the basics of my presentation work done, I just need to improve it now.
It sounds like you’re making good progress with the presentation work, I am sure you will have time to improve your handout, so your happier with them.

Gary Benn said...

Perhaps when you do your revisions you can upload them in a separate directory where people can compare them. This might help you get feedback (especially if they cant remember your initial design).

See my journal for my revisions.

I have also been trying to see the handout as a design task much the same as one of the controlled tasks we are doing in A6.

I am having some trouble with this as my typographer has created quite a few typefaces that are not remotely similar. I am wanting to stick to his type faces for the handout and slides, but also use them as examples which isn't working.

I don't want to create any conflicts or too much contrast. The more I use contrasting type faces the weaker they will become.

Hopefully it will all work out in the half term and 'click'.

Looking forward to seeing your presentation!

James Bell said...

I think the key to the handout is to try and keep the consistent with the presentation.

This will show a level of professionalism and also enable the audience to relate the information from the presentation to the information on the handout.

If you are stuck for ideas on the handout I often find it useful to leave it for a while and do something completely different, such as A5, and then go back to.

This can often result in some new ideas and break that mental design block.

John Browne said...

Still plodding on as the usual Tom. Seems like you are heading in the right direction for another merit.

I am very much enjoying the build of the website at present along side small portions of frustration. Id like to thank you for the helping hand in trying to resolve the CGI mail script.

Unfortunatly I still havent resolved that problem, but a personal goal is to fully complete the website by the beginning of the half term week so I can gain some much needed feedback.

Andrew said...

I'm glad you really enjoyed the timed task, I think everyone overall enjoyed this one more than the last test subject one that we did. I think the other helped us get used to the process and kinda showed us where we went wrong in reflection. I think everyone got this one in with quite abit of time to spare.

Also being pleased with the end result is a big thing, it's all well and done making it. But being pleased by your work is a real proud moment, I did notice you finished yours really quick too.

Remember with the handout and presentation try get a running theme between the both, it'll help alot when it comes to your mark. Especially where Steve can see which parts link.