Tuesday 26 February 2008

Eh? Where'd the time go?

The past few weeks seem to have absolutely flown by. I can't believe that the deadline's next week. I think I feel more prepared for this deadline than for the past deadlines though, which is obviously a good thing.

Over the next week the main things I need to complete are the merit and distinction list and the evaluations- although I'll obviously only be able to start the A6 evaluation.

I feel as though my 'A5 - Builder' site is complete now- I've done quite a lot of messing about and feel as though any more would probably be pointless. I'm going to try to spice up the home page a bit, not sure how yet, but other than that it's pretty much done. There's just one small issue with IE, concerning a valign (vertical alignment) attribute for the navigation... it works in all other browsers but IE just won't align the navigation in the centre. Thanks Microsoft. See the site here.

Over the last week I managed to get some usability testing done with some of those lovely folks in the 50+ age group. Unfortunately, I only managed to find 5 people willing to complete the form. Whilst testing this was in some ways useful, it also didn't really show up any issues with my site... which could be good, but to me it just seemed as though those participating in the questionnaire were just giving the answers they thought I would want.

In terms of A6, I was again pleased with the results of this weeks timed task, 'Jonathan Gee' which I'll upload onto my portfolio site later tonight (26/2/08). I particularly like the header now, which came around after an idea from Steve to make the 'Jonathan' smaller, and I then decided to incorporate the two names into one rectangular shape. I found last weeks 'Newspaper Devices' lecture very useful in the designing of this week's task.

12 comments:

John Browne said...

Hey Tom. What can I say, you seem to be ontop of your work all the time. I feel pretty confident that you will make it out there in the real world.

Using your website in the usability testing was as easy pie.

The timed task today was a little difficult for me as the text was everywhere and no where at the same time. I for one dont feel satisfied with my article, but this is only a practice run before the real thing next week.

I like the way you design the name at the top of the page in your Jonathan Gee article.

Good going Tom...

Greg Carrick said...

I know exactly what you mean about time flying by; I can’t believe the deadline is next week!

I'm glad you're feeling prepared for the deadline.

I really like what you’ve done with the header, keep up the great work.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Tom,

Where HAS all the time gone?!

You are right; it is terrifying to think that we are now about 75% of the way through the course!

I really like the colours you have used on your portfolio site; the orange really stands off the black background.

Cross browser compatibility will always be an issue, I suppose that it is important to keep things simple until we can learn how best to work around these issues.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Tom Smith said...

Cheers guys!

Shaun, you might want to check your maths... 75% through the course?!?!?! When are you planning on leaving college?!

Shaun Bellis said...

I meant for this year !

Which retrospectively is over 1/3 through the entire course.

Hey before you all know it you will be as old as me!

Suzanne Hullah said...

This year has certainly flown, with only one assignment left after hand in next week, I'm starting to feel some sense of achievement.

You're certainly right about 'getting everything finished and tied up', I feel a lot more confident this time round about my work that I did on the previous ones.

As for plastic wallets, that reminder on my blog was because I thought that would be the one thing that I'd forget! Maybe a reminder on my phone is called for?!

Mark Torrington said...

Hey we will be second years in September. Time certainly does fly.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the thank you reply. I have taken a look at your portfolio site it is really coming together. Keep up the great work.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have actually asked people the same age group as what your target audience is aimed at. This will allow you to have more feedback and you will be able to improve your site from the ideas from different age groups comments.

James Bell said...

The site looks great Tom but i'm a little unsure about the picture of the pie on the home page.

To valign problem can be fixed by adjusting the margins of the H3 tag in the CSS.

Add this to the H3 tag in your css:
margin:15px 0px 14px 0px;
add everything should be fine.

Tom Smith said...

Cheers James!

Works fine now!!

Andrew said...

Your portfolio site would be real nice with some more graphical applications on it; though you knew I'd say that right? It kinda reminds me of the FlipConcept site of Shauns. Though I do actually quite like the banner you've got on there, I just think you could add a few other elements in their alongside the same theme. To give it more impact and consistancy.

Your work on deadline, is a credit to your always exceptional timeplanning Tom.

Tom Smith said...

I agree Andy, but the portfolio site isn't really a priority at the moment, it's just been kind of used as a way of learning a bit more CSS in my spare time. The specifics of the design aren't really massively important at the moment.

Thanks for your ideas though.