Thursday 20 December 2007

Evaluation after the First Semester

On reflection, the first semester of the course has proved to be a very important and key stage in my development as a designer. Having come from a position with effectively no design or web design experience, I feel as though my progress thus far has been massively influential on what is to come in the future.

The main 'learning-curve' this semester has concerned developing a greater comprehension of theoretical design principles and concepts, as well as a greater knowledge of the technologies and processes used in web design. These advances in my understanding will again be very important and influential in my future. I have also begun to develop more specific interests over the past few months. Specifically, I seem to have developed more of an interest in the graphic design aspect of the course. Obviously, having not actually built a website yet, and with many aspects of the course to come, my interests may again evolve to accommodate different areas of the design field.

In terms of the actual work this semester, I have been quite surprised at the commitment and effort that the work takes. Looking at friends and family on other Higher Education courses at Universities, it seems we get it much tougher than they do. This is, in many ways, the opposite to what I expected. However, in the long run I think I will appreciate the difficulty of the course as is it gives me a much greater level of experience and I feel I will also be able to learn much more effectively.

Over the next semester, my primary aim is to gain a merit in an assignment. I feel this is an attainable goal for me, although I admit it will take a lot of work. I also hope to develop my currently limited web-building skills through the work done on assignments, as well as work undertaken in my own time.

In terms of the rest of the course, my main target is to gain skills, both design related and transferable skills, which will make me employable. It is also my aim to gain a number of merit/distinction grades over the coming year and a half, and to ensure I reach my full potential.

My long term goals, at the moment, I am not sure of. In my previous statement, it was my aim to eventually work for myself. Whilst this is still something I wish to one day achieve, this may be a 'long-long term goal'. I feel gaining industry experience would be much more beneficial prior to this. I am still not sure whether I would like to further my education before moving into employment, but this is definitely something I am considering. My thoughts at the moment are that as the course progresses, I will gain a better understanding of which area I would like to work in, and therefore be able to form a better plan for the future.

11 comments:

Webomatic said...

Hi Tom

I think one of the best cary on skills is time planning. For A3 & A4 i realy got stuck in, doing the time planning this time round and it paid off, it helped me do the assignments bit by bit, this over all made me more confident about the work i was doing.

Thanks, Martyn

Greg Carrick said...

I have to agree, we do seem to get it tougher on this course than the people I know at universities, but it will only workout better for us in the long run and as you said more experience.

Mark Torrington said...

You cannot beat industry experience, empathising with real clients and managing real budgets. I find every design job a whole different experience with its own set of challengers.

Don’t ever lose site that one day you will be a freelancer, this is my drive and eventually it will be the right time.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Having it hard/tough will certainly help us in the future. With the 'industry experience' exercises that Steve has had us doing (timed designs) we'll gain the composure for working under pressure.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have gained more interest in the subject and this will show in the work you do. Its also nice to see that you have thourght about what you want to do after you leave college.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I too have really enjoyed the design elements of the course. I think this accompanied with our technical knowledge will give us a real edge when looking to gain employment at the end of the course.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Working for ourselves as freelance designers is a long long term goal of many of us. Although before we set about being freelance, I think that some experience in the industry would be extremely beneficial.

After some experience we will have gained a whole heap of knowledge of how to deal with clients, work under pressure and adhere to set conditions.

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Andrew said...

Haha, yeah I've spoken to a few friends and they are amazed at the amount of work I produce, alot of our single modules are a full dissetation in length. Especially when they seem to be sat around doing nothing for most of the semester. But I think this will pay off for us, it'll stand us in good stead when it comes to the industry, as we actually know the commitment design really needs.

I too eventually hope to work for myself, when I've become already sucessful of course. This will give me such a bigger range of the things I can do, give me the chance to turn clients down and hand pick the ones I'd like to work for. Meaning that I will enjoy my job far more, and hopefully reap the benefits.

Liam Corfield said...

I understand tat what you mean about commitment to the course, it is definatly more intense than university. but in my oppinion thats alot better. working underpreasure brings out the best in you.

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.