Tuesday 9 October 2007

A week to go...

This week has been the most chaotic, yet enjoyable, week on the course so far. My last post has become entirely void... I had selected a final design, but Steve wasn't happy with this choice and insisted on an amalgamation of the two designs. Looking back to the feedback group last week, I now remember that this was his conclusion as the conversation developed, but this must have been forgotten throughout the week and after the gathering of further feedback from other sources. First lesson for this week: make notes during feedback groups for future reference.

I arrived on Monday with the target of getting my screen design done on Pagemaker. However, after a short conversation and brain storming session with Steve, it became apparent that the design needed a complete makeover. With the 'practice' deadline looming on Tuesday, this seemed almost implausible, especially as I still had to finish the assets list and budget statement.

Fortunately, I managed to get all the assignment completed (with the exception of the evaluation) ready for the feedback group, and I had time for a quick proof read as well.

Looking back on this week, it's been a real challenge, but I've really appreciated the pressure. It could be that I work more effectively with an impending deadline. Of course, there have been times of frustration (with Pagemaker for the most part!), but in general, getting my head down had been enjoyable, and definitely beneficial.

For those of you who are interested, here is an image of my final screen design:

Final Screen DesignI personally am really happy with the result of the redesign. In my opinion, it's a much more effective design than the others, and the combination of different aspects of the other two has led to a design that is much more suited to my target audience.

This week, I have to complete the evaluation, redesign my feedback form to include more methods of gathering information, and make some minor alterations to the body of the assignment. In all, I feel confident that I can get this done relatively easily within the time I have.

7 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Like you, i also have to re-design my feedback form. Questions I have asked are somewhat irrelevant when the hosting for the site has web statistics which would answer those questions anyway.

Your final design looks very clean - thanks to john peel and his a-symmetric shoulders!

Andrew said...

I really like your final design, it looks smooth and professional, I'm trying hard to find a fault with it over all.

I the only things I could say you might be able to improve on is the overall colour scheme, personally I think it's a little bland, but then again it suits the Great Briton you have chosen.
Also maybe the text on your navigation could be improved, I think it might be a little big for the task, and draws your eye too much.

Real nice work overall.

Webomatic said...

Like the design it looks good, measy to read to colour clashes, ive been thinking latly of a custum colour background interface, that lets users change the back colour, but i wouldnt no how to create it.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Not yet I haven't, that is one of the things that I've got planned to do Sunday night. If I find a suitable link, I'll let you know!

Thomas Wealthy said...

The design looks great, nice and simple but very professional looking at the same time. Also the text is a nice size and makes it easy to read, nice work.

Gary Benn said...

Really like the final design, I know you wasn't too please by having to change it all. But it looks good! All I will say is, the lettering for the colours is very close to your screen design box!

James Bell said...

Hopefully next week won't be as chaotic as this week was for you but I think the redesign looks really good and very professional.