Tuesday 27 November 2007

Content about Content

This week has been one for getting quite a bit of work done. I've managed to complete the content for A3, which ended up taking almost 20 hours! I'm really glad this is out of the way now, though, and intend to get well into the screen designs this week. I also really need to get the site structure done this week seeing as I didn't get opportunity to last week.

Although I've got a lot done this week, I haven't got as much done as I would have wanted to. I did do the full 16 hours, but I literally had no other time to spend doing additional work. This was because I had committed to too many other things last week- I suppose in a way it was bad time planning for other aspects of my life. Having the content out of the way has removed a big obstacle though.

In terms of A4, I've only just begun adding colour onto the photo. I've restored all the scratches, etc. to a standard I'm almost happy with, and over the next week I don't think there'll be a problem finishing it. I am struggling to decide what colours to do the guy's suits though.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is the 'business card' task on Monday in which we had to design and make a business card in 30 mins. The purpose of this was to show the pressure that can be applied to us in the business, as well as testing our ability to keep the information exactly as the client wishes- which all but one of us failed to do! I think this was a valuable lesson to learn... even if it means simply not adding 'Tel.' in front of the telephone number!

Last week I bought a book Steve recommended, called 'Photoshop for Photographers'. Despite the name, it's a good all round book that isn't really just for photographers- it addresses a wide range of Photoshop's features. I haven't had a deep look into it yet, but the parts I have looked at seem well written and really helpful... I'd recommend you get a copy. It's also a great price at £14.99.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To put the website content into some sort of context, what you're writing satisfies the whole of Unit 2 - Computing Fundamentals. Edexcel's recommended ***minimum*** input for a single unit is 60 hours of study. So, if you're doing it in less than that ...

Anonymous said...

In other words: stop whinging and think about how awful that unit could really be!

John Browne said...

lol, well said there Steve, but sort of nasty if you catch my drift.

The image restoration task is in my opinion a very good and exciting task to be working on. At a regular sized photograph level I think that my image looks nearly perfect

A bit of advice, when adding the colour to the image. Test the colours between 10 and 20 opacity to see which best suits it in your eyes.

Also the business card task was in my opinion a very valuable experience. Not only did we get to do it twice, ulike 3 fellow students. But we got a little bit more practice and noting which could prove usefull in the very near future. Although I did not pass this task on both days, I beleive that I can now create a near perfect business card suitable for a client using just to suite a clients need....

John Browne said...

I meant between 10 and 30 Opacity....Sorry!!!!


And yes i know Steve. This will only count as one Journal entry :P

Tom Smith said...

Steve,

Now you put it that way Steve, I can appreciate the way in which you've incorporated that unit into the other... quite a clever method to make something that could be very dull more relevant and interesting.

From now on, I withdraw all statements that were 'whinging', and compliment you on good planning of the units!

Anonymous said...

I think my previous comments should have included a ;-)

Gary Benn said...

the content has been a bit of a pain but it has taken no where near as long as 60 hours as steve's comment above states. I have completed half and it hasnt taken me 10 hours yet. Although i will have to read through it and check for error which usually exist before hand in so mine may also be of similar time scale.

So far i have really enjoyed doing the content even though it has been a long task.

Thanks for the book title with have to take a look at that!

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.