Tuesday 13 November 2007

Manic Compression

This week has been a good week at college. It's been quite a relaxed atmosphere, which is definately one I learn better in. I always find things sink in easier with less tension around.

I'm really getting into the 'A4 - Image Rights' assignment at the moment. There's something about this unit that I'm really enjoying. Having completed the 'Artist vs. Designer' essay last week, this week it's an essay on image compression. Even this, which most people probably aren't interested in, excites me. I think it's being able to get to grips with the kind of stuff I've been messing about with over the past year or two in a context I feel I can expand my knowledge and learn new things. I'm looking forward to doing some image manipulation in the next few weeks, this is another area I'm really interested in, and having played around in Photoshop in the past, I'm excited about the prospect of learning some new techniques.

As for A3, I've taken a different approach this time for the target audience. Having received the 'general feedback' and today the more personal feedback, this is the area I need to improve most for this web plan. I've now created a general user profile based on the Adobe technique, as well as a specific user profile, based on a fictional character I've named Kenneth:

Kenneth is a 67 year-old retired builder, who has just purchased his first PC. He has a 56k dial-up connection, and is excited at the prospect of being able to communicate regularly with his grandchildren and old friends from his working days, as well as being able to research into his hobby, train spotting. He has no previous experience with computers, and despite having the most up-to-date software on his new PC, he struggles to customise it to meet his needs. Kenneth suffers from chronic glaucoma and his eyesight is badly affected. He struggles to read small type. He also suffers from arthritis, and has trouble at times using a mouse, and so he prefers to use the keyboard where possible.

I've now chosen a couple of sites to do my competitive analysis on, and am hoping to complete this and my delivery requirements over the next week. I'm trying hard at the moment to make sure I dedicate time to both assignments, despite my current preference for A4.

This week, then, my targets are:
  • the image compression essay;
  • delivery requirements;
  • competitive analysis;
  • much better time planning.

7 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

Quite an exemplary target audience profile that should inspire you to research usability issues associated with poor eyesight. RNIB offer some good advice about such issues.

Andrew said...

I'm very impressed with that target audience, I personally didn't think we would have to go into so much personal details when I first wrote mine, which is probably why i referred. I'm going to redo mine tomorrow, I can't wait till improve this and give 'Steve' my target audience character a personality.

Thomas Wealthy said...

Once I had received my feedback from Steve and was told about using the Adobe technique for doing the target audience, it made a lot more sense to do it that way and not just make up off the top of my head.

In regards to Assignment A4 it's good to hear that you are enjoying it, and this particular assignment could well be an eye opener for you to tell you whether you are an artist or a designer or of course both.

Webomatic said...

Hi

Image compression is one thing, however what has interested me is the amount of detail in compression, and just how bad we are at calculations compared to a computer, like Steve was telling Shaun to count to 5000, it takes us ages to do that when a computer can do it in a matter of seconds, another fact which interested me this week was “Colour Phrases”, the reason being you use them all the time but when it comes down to actual thinking about it its hard to think of, I’m sure its because it’s normally a reaction you just say it.

Thanks, Martyn

Rebecca Bradley said...

Your target audience is really good. I used adobe last time. But for some reason I failed but I think this is because I went in to, to much detail.

Its good to see that your really enjoying your new assignments and it seems like you allready have some knowledge on image compression so this will help you when writing your essay.

Liam Corfield said...

I presonally think that the image compression assignemt is the best so far, im really looking forward to the image manipulation as well. As for the target audience the adobe site is extreamly helpful, i did 2 briefs, a typical user and a detailed user.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.